As the growing season commences, we will be sharing recipes twice a month that revolve around common produce offered at the auction. For this recipe share, we are featuring asparagus.
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 to 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook the garlic, red pepper flakes and hot pepper sauce in oil and butter for 1 minute. Add the asparagus, salt and pepper; sauté until asparagus is crisp-tender, 8-10 minutes. Stir in cheese. Pour over hot pasta and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
(Recipe from Taste of Home)
Hannah Bernstein is an intern with Rural Action‘s Sustainable Agriculture team. She is a senior at Athens High School and has been involved with Rural Action for four years.